AmeriCorps Victim Assistance Program advocates provide support and education.
The AmeriCorps Victim Assistance Program (AVAP) addresses critical health prevention needs through community service and promotes a lifetime commitment to volunteerism. AVAP is a multi-agency collaboration to ensure direct services are available to survivors of domestic and sexual violence and stalking. Direct Services are based on an empowerment model of advocacy and support for each survivor’s choices.
AmeriCorps is a national service program that offers opportunities to Americans who are interested in making a substantial commitment to serve their country through national service.
Members of the AmeriCorps Victim Assistance Program are placed throughout New Hampshire at crisis centers, police departments, prosecutor offices, New Hampshire Department of Corrections, the New Hampshire Department of Justice, child advocacy centers, and on college and university campuses to offer support and information to survivors of domestic and sexual violence and stalking.
AVAP Member Accomplishments
Since the program began, the AmeriCorps Victim Assistance Program has assisted over 40,000 victims of domestic and sexual violence and stalking. In addition, AVAP has sponsored the annual New Hampshire Clothesline Project , a visual display of t-shirts made by victims, families and friends of New Hampshire victims that bear witness to the domestic and sexual violence perpetrated against them .
Since 1994, AVAP member accomplishments include:
- Assisting with over 25,000 restraining orders.
- Answering over 19,000 crisis hotline calls.
- Accompanying over 25,000 victims to criminal hearings and arraignments.
- Presenting programs throughout New Hampshire on topics including teen dating violence, date rape, effects of domestic violence on children, violence prevention, victims rights and the law to over 35,000 people.
- Assisting over 7,000 secondary victims of domestic and sexual violence including children.
About AmeriCorps in NH
For information on other AmeriCorps programs in New Hampshire, please go to www.volunteernh.org/nhamericorps.htm.